Have you ever walked into a room to get something, only to forget why you walked into that room in the first place? Do you constantly forget where you parked your car in a parking garage? Or have trouble remembering people’s names?
After today’s episode, you’ll be well on your way to never forgetting these things again because my guest is champion memory athlete Nelson Dellis and he’s got plenty of advice on how to improve your own memory, even if you think yours stinks. Nelson is the author of the book Remember It!, and we begin our show discussing the world of memory competitions, how Nelson got involved with them, and what records he’s notched so far. Nelson then corrects a couple common myths people have about memory and makes the case for why you ought to care about improving your own. He shares the overarching system he recommends to improve your ability to retain information, and how to use it to remember where you parked, people’s names, and the items on your to-do list. Nelson also explains the reason we forget what we walked into a certain room to get, and what to do if that happens to you. He then explains how walking through a “memory palace” can help you remember lists, speeches, and more.
Plenty of action-ready, easy-to-remember tips in this show.
- What exactly is a memory athlete?
- What are the world records that Nelson holds?
- Did Nelson have a predilection for memory as a kid?
- What “regular” folks stand to benefit from improving their memory
- The connection between memory and navigation
- What are the myths about memory?
- Why you need to trust your memory
- The See, Link, Go system
- How can you manage your life better with good memory?
- The weird system for remembering where you left your wallet or keys?
- How about for remembering someone’s name?
- Why you should remember to be more aware of your memory
- Why you forget what you were looking for when you go to a new room
- The memory palace technique for remembering specific lists of things
- An easy memory task to start trying today
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- 10 Ways to Improve Your Memory
- Memory is Moral: Why Every Man Should Do His Genealogy
- How to Improve Your Working Memory
- 5 Canons of Rhetoric: Memory
- How Navigation Makes Us Human
- How to Memorize a Deck of Cards
- A Primer on Mental Mapping
- How to Remember a Person’s Name (And What to Do When You Can’t)
- Eidetic memory
- A Place for Everything and Everything In Its Place
- 7 Reasons to Keep a Paper Map in Your Glovebox
Connect With Nelson
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month when you use code “manliness” at checkout.
Zoro.com. Whether you need stuff for industries like electrical, plumbing, contracting, manufacturing or more —Zoro’s got it, from brands you know and trust! Go to zoro.com/manliness to sign up for Z-mail and get 15% off your first order.
Saxx Underwear. Everything you didn’t know you needed in a pair of swim shorts. Visit saxxunderwear.com and get $5 off plus FREE shipping on your first purchase when you use the code “AOM” at checkout.
SimpliSafe. The smarter way to protect your home. Video verification means that police get your home, on average, in just 7 minutes. Visit SimpliSafe.com/manliness for a 60-day trial and free shipping.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #546: How to Get a Memory Like a Steel Trap appeared first on The Art of Manliness.